Skip to main content

The calm before the storm


Common ground 

I have come to learn that Leticia and I have something in common which is a very huge deal since we barely agree on anything, actually we never agree on anything.

It is weird to know that we both love something that is good for the both of us and actually keeps us both sane, I am a music lover and so is she.

Music has a way of soothing the soul and calming the brain in a way that makes you feel relaxed and happy. 
When my brain goes into that "flight or fight" mode, music is known to be able to reset all of that back to what I like to call "factory settings".

This is why I carry my earphones in my bag everywhere I go, my mom thinks it is for me to shut the world out which is partially true because then I can avoid human contact. But it is for me to be calm and not overthinking at all times. 

Leticia's favorite is "Daddy lessons" by Beyonce, we love it because it's an upbeat tune, hard to ignore and makes you want to tap your foot to it. I have listened to it to study, keep me calm when going to an interview and to focus at work. 

The work part used to be so tricky since my former job was in a call center and my supervisor didn't really support the idea of me listening to music while trying to assist a client on a call.

 Little did she know that this is the only way I didn't lose my  cool when dealing with clients because they can be very rude and condescending at times. I would just ignore her opinions and listen to my music and get the job done.

The selection 

I am the biggest fan of Spotify for 2 reasons: affordability and music selection. This service comes in handy for a music fanatic like myself because I have a subscription of R60 for all the songs in the world! Who wouldn't like that? I know you would too.

But the most amazing thing is how they create playlists for you according to the genre you like or the type of artist you listen to the most. Now I have different songs for my different Leticia moods and I couldn't appreciate them more.


DJ press play
.

When we are feeling "not good enough" then we listen to "who you are" by Jessie J because honestly it is okay not to be okay and that alone is motivation enough.

Then when we start to lack sense of purpose we hit Beyoncé-I was here and we just sing our hearts out to remember what we live for. Like I said a song for every mood.

Besides breathing music is my everyday go to and each day I discover a new tune or a new artist for a certain mood. I have made a list of my top 5 artists for you and maybe you will relate to them.

This list is my go to and I would like for you to share yours as well so that we can all discover new music and be jolly. 

The List. 

In no particular order :
-Ruth B
-Jessie Reyez
-Beyoncé
-Jessie J
-Grace Grundy

Check them out and you will understand what I mean about how music eases your mind, keeps you focused and calm at all times. 

Don't forget to share your favorites with us and until next time remember to BREATHE... 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Leticia

I have recently reconnected with Leticia (that’s what I call my anxiety but don’t ask), she was never really gone but went away for a while. You see Leticia and I have the kind of relationship where one is the dominant and the other is submissive but you already know who’s who. Now let me introduce you to her and the type of person she is, I promise you will learn to like her. She is sassy, loud and has a bit of an attitude like I would see an outfit I like and all she will say is “that wouldn’t even look good on you” and I won’t get it because somewhere deep down I think she is always right. She is the honest type of person but way too honest but I promise you she is a nice person. Oh and did I mention that she is jealous? We’ve always been together and it has just been the two of us for a long time. Now imagine me trying to invite someone else into our space, she is having none of that. Leticia is the reason I don’t go out anymore because she doesn’t do crowds, she is the

The precious art of breathing

There are a few things people say to you when you are suffering from anxiety attacks,thinking they are being of help when it is quite the opposite.  When something is on fire you do not reach for petrol same way you do not tell a person having an anxiety attack to "calm down". Oh!  funny that you think I am overreacting when my mind is experiencing something close to a malfunction and my lungs are just giving up on me therefore I cannot breathe. It is understandable not to know how to help or react when one is having an attack but stop trying too  hard, maybe just hold them tight.  While telling them everything is fine or everything is going to be alright. That is all they need in that moment, to be comforted and reassured. We often master the art of breathing to cope. You know the basic count from 10 to 1 then breathe in and breathe out. As simple as it may seem it actually saves us from a lot. I remember once when I had to go to a panel interview for a job that

Making the discovery

I started realizing that I have a problem back when I was in high school. Where by rather than being out in the streets gallavanting in the streets with my peers getting up to no good, I was pretty much more comfortable being at home laying in my bed reading a book. My mom thought I was just a "nerd" but the truth is that I was really scared. I couldn't go out to face the world alone because I didn't know what will happen or what will people think of me or if I will be able to keep up a conversation for too long. I didn't know what it was called but I knew I had to have a problem because this was nowhere near normal.