Skip to main content

The highs and lows

The most difficult thing about dealing with Leticia(my anxiety) is the constant overthinking and the fear of the unknown. When I think about it now I’ve always had her for a while but I didn’t know that this is a disorder or what it is called even.

But when I think back to most moments in my life, I can see the symptoms and the consistency in my behavior. Living with Leticia is the hardest thing I’ve had to go through in my life and I know that I am not alone because a lot of us have our own personal Leticia’s but we are not aware.

It’s the little things like changing your outfit 2 or 3 times before you go for what you usually wear because everything else just doesn’t look good on you and it will make people think you are too thin or too fat. It’s things like making plans with your loved ones and hours before they happen you think “no thanks, I rather stay in bed” and not because you don’t want to go but you don’t know if you can handle being around people for a long time or if you can keep a conversation going without things getting awkward.

It is avoiding going to the bathroom for the 2nd time within 30 minutes because people will look at you funny. I hope I am painting a clearer picture for you and now you follow how we live with my Leticia.

It is like an ocean wave, we have our highs and lows as the tide grows bigger so does the panic and shortness of breath.

I am the girl who rehearses what she’s going to say in her head countless times so I don’t make mistakes. I carry my phone wherever I go so people don’t see the fiddling of my fingers or the shaking of my hands,this is sort of my crutch.

I know as some of you are reading this you are ticking boxes of your own struggles and you now realize that we have a mutual friend. How many times do you have to remind yourself to breathe? How often do you have to tell yourself it is not that bad? Do you ever stop to think about why you tell yourself you’ll be okay at least 6 times a day?

Well the answer is all the time and you already know why.

People like me are rarely in a relationship because we are not easy to be with let me highlight a few examples of what I mean, because I am not exaggerating:

*You have to text me back immediately if not within a few seconds because if you don’t I feel neglected.

*You need to keep checking on me and if you don’t I feel abandoned.

*You can’t make plans with me in advance because that gives me enough time to overthink and we end up canceling so the best time is now.

*Don’t stay mad at me for too long because then I start feeling shitty about myself and look down on myself.

*Sometimes I need personal space and company at the same time, as confusing as it may sound don’t leave me alone at this time.

*Sometimes I am clingy and loving other times I am just distant and irritable because this for me is a coping mechanism. The further you are from me the lesser chances of me getting hurt, crazy right?

These are just the major ones but trust me there’s more but we will get to that the next time we speak.

For now let me remind to be gentle and kind to the likes of me because we are struggling and fighting Leticia is far from being easy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Leticia

I have recently reconnected with Leticia (that’s what I call my anxiety but don’t ask), she was never really gone but went away for a while. You see Leticia and I have the kind of relationship where one is the dominant and the other is submissive but you already know who’s who. Now let me introduce you to her and the type of person she is, I promise you will learn to like her. She is sassy, loud and has a bit of an attitude like I would see an outfit I like and all she will say is “that wouldn’t even look good on you” and I won’t get it because somewhere deep down I think she is always right. She is the honest type of person but way too honest but I promise you she is a nice person. Oh and did I mention that she is jealous? We’ve always been together and it has just been the two of us for a long time. Now imagine me trying to invite someone else into our space, she is having none of that. Leticia is the reason I don’t go out anymore because she doesn’t do crowds, she is the

The precious art of breathing

There are a few things people say to you when you are suffering from anxiety attacks,thinking they are being of help when it is quite the opposite.  When something is on fire you do not reach for petrol same way you do not tell a person having an anxiety attack to "calm down". Oh!  funny that you think I am overreacting when my mind is experiencing something close to a malfunction and my lungs are just giving up on me therefore I cannot breathe. It is understandable not to know how to help or react when one is having an attack but stop trying too  hard, maybe just hold them tight.  While telling them everything is fine or everything is going to be alright. That is all they need in that moment, to be comforted and reassured. We often master the art of breathing to cope. You know the basic count from 10 to 1 then breathe in and breathe out. As simple as it may seem it actually saves us from a lot. I remember once when I had to go to a panel interview for a job that

Making the discovery

I started realizing that I have a problem back when I was in high school. Where by rather than being out in the streets gallavanting in the streets with my peers getting up to no good, I was pretty much more comfortable being at home laying in my bed reading a book. My mom thought I was just a "nerd" but the truth is that I was really scared. I couldn't go out to face the world alone because I didn't know what will happen or what will people think of me or if I will be able to keep up a conversation for too long. I didn't know what it was called but I knew I had to have a problem because this was nowhere near normal.