Skip to main content

UNMASKED


Mental health problem do not have a certain look, there are no physical signs that show when you suffer from it.

Most of the time before people get used to me, they assume that i am a bubbly and confident person and when they find out that i suffer from anxiety. They say things such as "I never would have thought that you have mental health problems, you look fine to me".

How am i supposed to look like? Not only is the statement ignorant but offensive as well. What do you expect from me to carry my fears around on my forehead for your convenience?.

We are not looking for pity or special treatment when we disclose our mental issues but we need you to understand that what we are going through may result in a behavior that might come of as offensive and we need you to know it is not intentional.


How many times has a friend or a loved one told you to "snap out of it" when you were having a meltdown. If it was that simple we would not need to be told to do so, we would just do it.

This is not us throwing tantrums or seeking attention but us fighting demons stronger than our minds could comprehend. Nobody chooses to walk around feeling like they are not good enough or scared of things that will never happen and are only in their heads. 

Therefore it is unfair for you to expect us to get over it or to look a certain way for you to understand that we are suffering from things bigger than ourselves.

I met a lady once doing charity work and we exchanged contacts to later get in touch. When we did get in touch, she was telling me how nice my personality is only for me to reign on her parade. I explained how I was scared and couldn't breathe half of the time. 

This discovery shocked her and she called me out thinking that it was all a lie, told her about my back story with "Leticia" and she later apologized for being to quick to judge me by my appearance.

"Things are not always what they seem" 



I have always found that sarcasm and a good sense of humor makes a great "mask" for me. I hide my own insecurities by making people laugh then they will not see how much I doubt myself.

It gets exhausting having to put up a front around people so that they do not feel uncomfortable with me while I am way out of my comfort zone myself. 

This is merely to meet people's expectations of who i am supposed to be rather than them having to deal with the shaky, scared and nervous wreck that i truly am. 

Next time you think about saying "who would've thought" to someone with mental health problems, DON'T. Avoid digging a much deeper and darker hole than the one we are already in. 

Until next time my fellow anxiety fighter's remember to breathe... 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Leticia

I have recently reconnected with Leticia (that’s what I call my anxiety but don’t ask), she was never really gone but went away for a while. You see Leticia and I have the kind of relationship where one is the dominant and the other is submissive but you already know who’s who. Now let me introduce you to her and the type of person she is, I promise you will learn to like her. She is sassy, loud and has a bit of an attitude like I would see an outfit I like and all she will say is “that wouldn’t even look good on you” and I won’t get it because somewhere deep down I think she is always right. She is the honest type of person but way too honest but I promise you she is a nice person. Oh and did I mention that she is jealous? We’ve always been together and it has just been the two of us for a long time. Now imagine me trying to invite someone else into our space, she is having none of that. Leticia is the reason I don’t go out anymore because she doesn’t do crowds, she is the

The precious art of breathing

There are a few things people say to you when you are suffering from anxiety attacks,thinking they are being of help when it is quite the opposite.  When something is on fire you do not reach for petrol same way you do not tell a person having an anxiety attack to "calm down". Oh!  funny that you think I am overreacting when my mind is experiencing something close to a malfunction and my lungs are just giving up on me therefore I cannot breathe. It is understandable not to know how to help or react when one is having an attack but stop trying too  hard, maybe just hold them tight.  While telling them everything is fine or everything is going to be alright. That is all they need in that moment, to be comforted and reassured. We often master the art of breathing to cope. You know the basic count from 10 to 1 then breathe in and breathe out. As simple as it may seem it actually saves us from a lot. I remember once when I had to go to a panel interview for a job that

Making the discovery

I started realizing that I have a problem back when I was in high school. Where by rather than being out in the streets gallavanting in the streets with my peers getting up to no good, I was pretty much more comfortable being at home laying in my bed reading a book. My mom thought I was just a "nerd" but the truth is that I was really scared. I couldn't go out to face the world alone because I didn't know what will happen or what will people think of me or if I will be able to keep up a conversation for too long. I didn't know what it was called but I knew I had to have a problem because this was nowhere near normal.